My New Writing Regimen
So, I’m now two full weeks into my new writing regimen. (Thumbnail version: I write — and do no socializing, administrative tasks, or erranding — on Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other Friday. I socialize, admin and errand on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I take off weekends, and every other Friday.)
Two weeks is obviously early days — I’d be a fool to draw grand conclusions about what’s working and what’s not working. But I can say this: the system seems to be working. Each day, I’m frustrated that I have to set aside the work that I’m doing. I’m eager to continue either my writing or my administrative tasks (which makes it more likely that I pick up same, with enthusiasm, on the next scheduled day).
In two weeks, I accomplished the following:
- Editing a total of 40,000 words on Single Witch’s Survival Guide
- Writing approximately 15,000 new words, replacing 20,000 old words in Single Witch’s Survival Guide
- Upgrading both the Mindy Klasky and Morgan Keyes website, including installing current WordPress, themes, widgets, and plugins
- Upgrading the electronic copies of the Jane Madison Series, Fright Court, Capitol Magic, and the As You Wish Series on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords.
- Loading electronic copies of the Jane Madison Series, Fright Court, Capitol Magic, and the As You Wish Series on Apple.
- Preparing electronic copies of the Jane Madison Series, Fright Court, Capitol Magic, and the As You Wish Series for an exciting new venue that I’ll be sharing with you in the very near future.
- Designing and ordering new business cards.
- Creating and sending a newsletter, updating my readers on various, um, news
- Completing about a million errands around the house, not directly related to writing (grocery shopping, clothes shopping, closet cleaning, cooking, bill paying, tax deduction filing, etc.)
I’ve still got long to-do lists. Survival Guide still has about 40,000 words to go. I still have lots of administrative tasks to complete on the self-publishing side of things. There’s a never-ending list of to-do items around the house. I haven’t updated this blog as promptly or as often as I’d like.
But for the first time in a long time, I feel like I’m getting things under control. I can see the general shape of the to-be-dones, instead of just a huge wall of FAILURE.
So. Back to work 🙂