No Kindle? No Problem!
Amazon is a major sales outlet for authors. But I get it. You might not buy your books on Amazon. And that means you’re going to miss out on some great reads, especially stories published on Amazon’s Kindle Worlds platform.
But wait! All is not lost!
Amazon’s specialized book format, .mobi, can be read on the Kindle app, free software that runs on phones, tablets, and desktop computers. You don’t need to own a Kindle to read .mobi files. Tap or click this button to download your free app:Download the FREE Kindle app!
There you go! Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!
Now, if you live outside the US, Kindle Worlds presents a different problem. Kindle Worlds books are (technically) only available to US customers. So what’s an avid reader to do? Try this:
- Log into your Amazon UK, CA, or AU account.
- Add a United States address to your list of one-click addresses. Rumor has it, the program is only concerned with confirming you’ve added a legitimate address. For example, (hint, hint), you could enter: PO Box 3369, Arlington, VA 22203.
- Go to Manage Your Content & Devices > Country settings. Change your location to US. When asked to select an address, choose the one you just added.
- Click on the Amazon US link, buy the book, and wait for it to download to your reading device.
- After the book is downloaded, reverse the process, changing settings back to your home country.
Not so easy, not so peasy, but many readers report these steps work for them!